Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour Regrets

So a couple of hours ago was "Earth Hour," where people were supposed to turn off their lights to symbolize something about saving energy or Earth or the environment, all of which are probably good causes but I hate symbolic gestures because too many people think "making the gesture" equals "actually doing something." So I paid no attention to Earth Hour this year, as I did the year before.

On the other hand, in the past year I've had to sacrifice precious closet space to make room for my stockpile of incandescent light bulbs. The US is banning their retail sale in a couple of years, so I need enough incandescents to last the rest of my life since their presumptive equivalents, CFLs and LEDs, both emit bleak, headache-inducing illumination no matter what kind of lampshade or stained glass I shine them through. And many of the people who support the incandescent-bulb ban are the same ones making a big show of complying with Earth Hour so they can Make A Difference, so I suppose it's good when they're distracted by meaningless gestures rather than run around banning something else they don't like.

So in retrospect I wish I'd supported Earth Hour, or written blog posts a couple days in advance saying "This Earth Hour thing planned for Saturday -- it's useful and productive and if you go along with it you get bonus points toward Good Person status."

I'll try to remember next year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous L.Long said...

I support earth hour all the time.
I have 100w and 150w lights thru out and use less electricity then anyone on the block because I use the greatest efficiency device invented...my finger!
All lights are off where I'm not and only the needed lights are on where I am.
But the worse thing about doing the most you can about using as little electricity as possible is that it is a waste of effort. 20yrs or so ago thee was a big push to conserve power, and we did very well. We did such a great job that the electrical rate charge went up because of lowered profits by the power companies! WTF!!! So now I encourage all others to use as much as possible which keeps the rates low and my conservation keeps my bills low.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that the US Air Force stopped bombing for that hour.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com