Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Romantic Ghosts And Miscellaneous Stuff

Under ordinary circumstances I'd complain about the dreary damp weather we've been having, but with California burning and Georgia nearly desiccated that would be ridiculous. So I'll just say I had an odd week, trying to get back into things after disappearing for a vacation. Luckily, two interesting press releases landed in my in-box (considering how rare even one story-worthy press release is, if I were a character in a novel written by a decent author last week would've been rejected as a deus ex machina) so instead of going off on some political tear I just did some unusually respectful stories about a team of local ghost-hunters and a college student who discusses literary works of the romance-novel genre. Turns out it has nothing in common with the incident that led me to cheat on you last year. Hope you're not still upset about that.

A friend of mine pointed out that the ghost story would've been much better if I could've written it Hunter Thompson gonzo style. "Soon as the LSD kicked in I kicked down the cemetery gates to grasp the rainbow ghosts streaming from every tomb." Magnificent. I cry for my wasted potential. Or I would if I had the time. No. Must stop blogging. Must resume work on this incognito piece which, verily, is now the official bane of my existence until next week.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A guy can pick up a romance novel...

With all due respect to Whitney and her obvious competence in the field, no...no, they can't...

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...the incident that led me to cheat on you last year. Hope you're not still upset about that.

Well, you know such things can leave an open wound on a relationship that is difficult to heal; even with time the scar still remains. Bearing that in mind it is with some degree of trepidation that I must confess that I, too, have committed an infidelity. I - please, forgive me- I have read other blogs while you've been away. Wait! They didn't really mean anything to me - you must believe that! But what's a reader to do? I have needs, you know, and the desires build up awaiting your return. I - I try to resist them. But you know how readers are - moblogamy is not really in our nature anyway. Besides, it's just a mental thing and shouldn't reflect on anything we had together...er, have together. Oh! And I swear to you - I practiced safe reading! :-)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Windypundit said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Windypundit said...

Any day you can work the word "verily" into a sentence can't be all bad.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Oh, dear. Looks like y'all are getting a pile-on in the other comment board. I'm sorry; I can't dive in to stick up for you because of the whole "my job" bit. My bad.

Smartass, I must admit to feeling a wholly unreasonable jealousy upon hearig your confession. I know; I'm a hypocrite for feeling thus. I suppose we both have issues that need to be worked through, in this relationship of ours.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. Looks like y'all are getting a pile-on in the other comment board.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jennifer. I'm much surprised that a small comment by little ol' me could generate such a big response. Anyway, I took care of it - or threw some more gas on the fire - depending on how one wants to look at it. The pot has been stirred! :-)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Oh, Christ, that was funny.

I'm probably in my boss' bad books, with my name written there in indelible ink, but that is FUNNY. I'm a martyr for comedy.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Christ, that was funny.

Coming from a professional that is, indeed, high praise. Thank-you for the compliment. I hope it won't get you in any real trouble, but if your boss should say anything, you might remind him that a controversial newspaper is a read newspaper and one that is more likely to attract advertisers.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I feel sorry for romance novel woman. I mean, it's a freaking romance novel, but she takes it seriously enough that I don't think a comment such as I want to make (such as one here) is appropriate. Damn, I'm soft, I guess, but I feel bad for her that she doesn't have ONE comment on the story, and I can't bring myself to make one positive that doesn't sound forced.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I feel bad for her that she doesn't have ONE comment on the story,

Taken care of, Moose. Some of us guys aren't all that worried about showing our inner woman. :-)

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taken care of, Moose. Some of us guys aren't all that worried about showing our inner woman. :-)

Thanks. A man's gotta know his limitations.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com